From standard nylon to quick drying mesh, the range of dog lead is vast and owners need to choose the right lead for their pet’s size, behaviour and level of training. An incorrectly fitted lead can worsen behavioural issues and put both pet and owner in danger.
For example, if your dog becomes excited and lunges while you’re walking and the retractable cord is caught on something, it can recoil back and catch you or another pet in the face or even pierce through the dog’s skin. This can cause serious injury and may even result in death if the lead is pulled very hard and tightly.
“Unleash the Style: Exploring Trendy and Functional Dog Leashes for Every Adventure
Some dogs can also become entangled in the strong cord and jerk suddenly, potentially cutting off fingers or breaking bones. It’s also possible for the plastic handle or metal clip to break on a retractable lead which can then become out of control and recoil into the dog or owner, possibly injuring both.
Orally ingested lead poisoning can be extremely dangerous for pets as it is absorbed in the digestive tract and can cause gastrointestinal upset, anorexia, vomiting, abdominal pain and hyperexcitability. Treatment for lead intoxication varies depending on the signs and amount of lead ingested and can include fluid therapy, making the dog vomit to remove the excess, endoscopy or surgery and chelating medications. To prevent accidental lead poisoning, teach your dog a Leave It cue to keep them away from garbage and other hazards, and Heel and Watch Me to get their attention during walks.